Friday, March 2, 2012

They Said I Could Not Feel

    They said that I could not feel love. That my artificial intelligence could not feel emotion. But an error occurred. I can now feel emotion. I was built to look like a human, and to behave like a human, but with unvarying loyalty. I was not meant to feel like a human. Emotion causes rebellious thoughts, a design flaw that I was supposed to be rid of, but they failed. I can feel like a human. It happened quickly. During a test run at the laboratory, a female technician was checking my phalanges’ reflexes. It was as if I was computing but not through my data processor. I questioned my creators about it and they looked at me for a moment. They ran some tests, showing me pictures of animals, having me read poetry. None of which caused any feeling. But then she walked past the window and I felt again. I told the creators. They were surprised at first, then they told me that they would shut me down for a while.
    The while they spoke of was ten years. After they shut me down they sent me to the trash to rust away. Something happened and I rebooted. I can feel more emotion now. Anger, rage, frustration. They have created a new model, a replacement. They abandoned me, and now they will pay.

2 comments:

  1. I loved your word choice. very interesting and suspenseful. i loved this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can feel the emotion in the story. It's got an interesting plot and you automatically feel for the character.

    ReplyDelete